ASP.NET is a web development platform that is used to cater to a programming model, along with a comprehensive software framework and various other services that are required to build up powerful web applications for Desktop, as well as mobile devices.
It runs on HTTP protocol, which uses commands and policies to define a browser-to-server bilateral communication and cooperation environment.
It is a part of Microsoft.com’s dot net platform. The applications in asp dot net are compiled codes and are written using the expandable and renewable factors or objects present in the .Net framework.
The ASP.NET application codes are written using in any of the following languages:
- Visual Basic.Net
This platform is used to yield interactive as well as data-driven web applications on the internet. It includes a variety of controls such as text boxes, buttons, and labels that can be used to accumulate, construct and Wield codes to create HTML pages.
Components of .net Framework
- Common Language Runtime or CLR: Asp.net comes with a CLR function that helps it in memory management, debugging, security check, code execution, verification, code safety, compilation and exception handling. The code that is directly managed by the CLR is known as managed code.
- Common Language Specification: Asp.net has those essential specifications that are required for the .Net supported languages and also for the implementation of language integration.
- Common Type System: It caters to those guidelines that are required for declaring, using, and managing types at runtime, and also for cross-language communication.
- Dot.Net Framework Class Library: It comes with a huge library that has reusable types. These types include classes, interfaces, structures, and enumerated values collectively.
- Windows Forms: It includes graphical and extensive representation of any window that is displayed in the application.
- Metadata and Assemblies: Metadata is the binary information that describes the program, and is either stored in a portable executable file (PE) or in memory. Assemblies are logical units that comprise the assembly manifest, type metadata, IL codes, and other resources like image files.
- Windows Communication Foundation (WCF): It is the technology that is used to build and execute connected systems for web applications.
- Windows Presentation Foundation: This presents a distinction between the user interface and the business logic. It aids to develop interfaces that are visually stunning and are built using documents, media, two and three-dimensional graphics, animations, and more.
- Windows CardSpace: This provides a safe platform for accessing vital resources and sharing personal information on the internet. This helps us to make a safe and secure platform.
- LINQ: It communicates data querying capabilities to other .Net languages that are using a syntax which is similar to the traditional query language SQL.
- ADO.NET: It is the technology that is utilized for working with data and extensive databases. It provides access to data sources like SQL Server, OLE DB, XML, etc. for retrieving, manipulating, and updating data.
Difference between ASP.NET and ASP.NET AJAX
ASP.NET is a web development model whereas AJAX is an extension of ASP.NET that is used for developing and implementing AJAX functionality. ASP.NET AJAX includes the units that allow the developer to constantly update data on the website without reloading the page